Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Thing #15

The concept of Library 2.0 and where it can go is pretty simple. I feel that libraries as a physical place is no longer needed unless it is simply to house a bank of computers for people to use. Keeping actual print media is a waste of physical space when you can get just about any book, magazine, newspaper, video, or audio that you want straight from the internet. My fiance used to order books at the public library until I showed her how easy it was to read the same books online, on my phone, and on an e-reader. She hasn't visited the library since. I think that schools should create a robust network in the library with banks of computers for students to access information. Think of how many computers could fit into a library if there were no books or bookcases. Think of the air conditioning bill too.

1 comment:

  1. A Library with all books and no computers is an extreme and will not be useful for all. A Library with all computers and no books is an extreme and will not be useful for all.

    ReplyDelete